How to get to Cat Ba island
1. Go straight from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island – Hanoi to Cat Ba Bus transfer:
The most time-saving way to travel from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island is to go straight. There are many high-quality tourist bus companies operating this route such as: Cat Ba Express, Interbus Lines, Fullmoon Party Bus, Good Morning Cat Ba, etc. The travel time is from 3.5 – 4 hours.
- Arcady Express: This is the new service run by Arcady which offers guests more options to transfer from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island. For more information, please refer to this guideline on Hanoi – Cat Ba Express.
- Cat Ba Express: There are 3 transfer to Cat Ba every day, departing at 7:30 am, 10:45 am, 14:00 pm. The coaches provide with full amenities including free Wifi, mineral water, pastries, cold towels.
- Universe Noble: The 34-seat car is equipped with comfortable reclining seat and very soft cushion. The car runs on the Hanoi – Hai Phong highway, goes to Tan Vu – Lach Huyen Bridge to Cat Hai Island and drops off passengers at Got ferry. Then, travelers with transfer by private high-speed train to Phu Long for 10 minutes. Ticket price is about 280,000 VND / way.
- Hoang Long Transportation: The car delivers you to Ding Vu Ferry in Hai Phong, the you keep getting in the company’s high-speed train for 25 minutes to Cai Vieng wharf (on Cat Ba island). Continue traveling by car of the company to the center of Cat Ba town. Ticket price is 240,000 VND / way.
2. Follow the route Hanoi – Hai Phong – Cat Ba – Hanoi to Cat Ba transfer:
a. Move from Hanoi to Hai Phong:
Hanoi and Hai Phong both have airports, however, motorbikes or buses, trains are the most reasonable means of transportation for such a short distance.
- Motorbike: If traveling by motorbike, you will have to go to Highway 5A, the travel time is about 2 – 2.5 hours.
- Route 1: Take the Hanoi – Hai Phong highway
- Route 2: Go through Highway 5 and Highway 5B
- Passenger cars: You can refer to Hoang Long, Hai Au, Hoang Ngan, Huy Dat Cang transports, Ngoc Huyen bus, Hai Phong VT Bus, etc.
- Train: There are trains from Gia Lam and Long Bien stations in Hanoi to Hai Phong. Ticket price is about 60,000 – 90,000 VND. Travel time from 2.5 – 3 hours.
b. Move from Hai Phong to Cat Ba by bus, Speed Boat:
- By bus : Tourist can Buy tickets of Hoang Long Transport Company , Hadeco, or Catba isaland resort bus from Hai Phong City to Cat Ba Town. The car departs Binh Station. Then take a high-speed train of the company for 25 minutes to go to Cai Vieng Wharf (on Cat Ba Island). Continue travelling by car of the company to the center of Cat Ba town. Total travel time is about 1 hour, fares from 150,000 / person.
c. Speedboat from Binh Station to Cat Ba island:
- High-speed train from Binh Pier: Ticket price is from 200,000 VND – 250,000 VND / person, travel time is about 45 minutes to Cat Ba Island.
- Crossing Tan Vu Bridge (the bridge connecting the Hanoi → Hai Phong Highway to Got pier in Cat Hai district): Tourists cross the bridge to Got Pier, take the ferry to Cai Vieng Wharf or the high speed train to Phu Long Wharf, then continue to move to the center of Cat Ba Island by bus.
* Note: The most economical way to go from Got Pier to Cai Vieng:
- Take a ferry from Got station with VND 12,000 / person, travel time from 20-30 minutes.
- Take the highway from Got to Phu Long (Cai Vieng): 50,000 VND / person, travel time only about 8-10 minutes.
3. Bus Hanoi to Halong Cat Ba:
a. Move from Hanoi – Halong:
Tourists tend to combine both Ha Long and Cat Ba on their journey so the transit point in Tuan Chau ferry regularly gets overloaded. Thus, you should book tickets early. The last ferry departs from Tuan Chau at 3pm daily, the fare is 220,000 VND / person.
By bus from Ha NOi to :
Passenger bus to Ha Long departs from My Dinh Bus Station with the earliest departure from 6 am and the last trip at 5:00 pm. This bus drops you at Bai Chay Bus Station in Halong City and runs for every 5-15 minutes. Ticket price ranges from VND 120,000 / person – VND 180,000 / person.
- By motorbikes: you can refer to one of these two routes:
– From Hanoi City center: follow the National Road 5 to the junction of Sai Dong heading for Bac Ninh Province. From Bac Ninh, keep following the Road 18 to Pha Lai – Chi Linh – Dong Trieu – Uong Bi – Halong. The total distance is about 155km.
– Noi Bai Airport – Bac Ninh – Highway 18A through Pha Lai – Sao Do – Dong Trieu – Uong Bi – Halong about 160km.
- By train: Halong Express Train departs from Gia Lam Station, takes about 5 hours to Halong, about 100,000 VND / way / person.
b. Move from Ha Long to Cat Ba Island:
From Tuan Chau Island, tourists can buy ferry tickets to Gia Luan on Cat Ba Island. From Gia Luan Wharf, travel for another 45 minutes along the road on the island to Cat Ba town. Travel expenses: for pedestrians: VND 70,000, for motorbikes: VND 90,000, for cars with less than 9 seats: VND 450,000, for cars with 9-15 seats: VND 500,000, for cars with 16-23 seats: VND 550,000.
In addition, if you want to travel by high-speed train, visitors only take about 20 minutes to go from Tuan Chau to Gia Luan wharf with the ticket price of 170,000 VND / person.
*The price is updated in 2019.
4. What to do in Cat Ba Island:
Welcome you to Cat Ba Island. The majestic island is just some steps away from you. Are you ready to take on an exploration with us? Let’s see top things to do in Cat Ba Island. For more instant support, please contact us via our:
See you soon in a trip to the Wonderland with Catba.tours